Humalog® U-100 Insulin
You may have been taking a long-acting insulin for a while now. So why did your doctor prescribe another insulin? Well, it’s to help control the blood sugar spikes that happen naturally when you eat. Everyone gets them, but when you have diabetes you may need extra help controlling them. That’s where Humalog comes in.
Humalog is different than your long-acting insulin. Long-acting insulin helps control your blood sugar throughout the whole day.
Available Delivery Options
- Humalog KwikPen is a small, lightweight pen that's prefilled with mealtime insulin. Plus, since it shouldn't be refrigerated after the first use*, you can take it just about anywhere. You can carry it in your purse, backpack or pocket because it's the size of a marker.
- Unopened Humalog should be stored in a refrigerator and can be used until the expiration date on the carton or label.
- Humalog should be stored away from light and heat.
- Do not use insulin if it has been frozen.
- Opened vials should be kept at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Opened cartridges or prefilled pens should be kept at room temperature.
- Once opened, Humalog vials, prefilled pens, and cartridges should be thrown away after 28 days.
Humalog® U-100 Junior KwikPen®
- Humalog Junior KwikPen is a prefilled pen with half-unit dosing capability, enabling finer dose adjustment for those who need it.
- Humalog Junior KwikPen is a small lightweight pen that's prefilled with Humalog U-100 mealtime insulin.
Plus, since it shouldn't be refrigerated after the first use*, you can take it just about anywhere. You can carry it in your purse, backpack, or pocket because it's the size of a marker.
*Once you start using Humalog Junior KwikPen, it should be stored at room temperature, below 86˚F (30˚C), and must be used within 28 days or be discarded, even if it still contains Humalog.
- The Humalog Junior KwikPen offers fast-acting insulin, right when you need it, to help you control your diabetes.
Select Safety Information
Do not reuse needles or share your insulin injection supplies with other people. This includes your:
- prefilled pen for use by a single patient
- reusable pen that works with Lilly 3mL cartridges
You or the other person can get a serious infection. This can happen even if you change the needle.
Storage for Humalog U-100 KwikPens and Vials
Use of Humalog U-100 in an Insulin Pump
For some people, an insulin pump can help improve diabetes management and make it more flexible. A pump may be a good option if any of these apply:
- You regularly test your blood sugar
- You are active and have an inconsistent meal and physical activity schedule
- You have demonstrated the ability to manage your diabetes but don't want to draw attention to it
Have your healthcare team discuss the pros and cons of external insulin pumps with you. They can help you decide whether taking Humalog with an external insulin pump is right for you.
Select Safety Information
Using Humalog or Insulin Lispro Injection (100 units/mL) in an insulin pump may cause serious side effects that can lead to death, such as high blood sugar and ketoacidosis. You can have these serious problems if your insulin pump or infusion set stops working. They can also happen if the insulin in your pump is no longer effective. For these reasons, always keep extra insulin injection supplies with you.
An insulin pump is another way to deliver Humalog U-100 to your body. The insulin pump stores Humalog inside it and has a small, bendable, plastic tube attached at one end. This tube goes into the skin through a small needle. Once the tube is set in place, the needle is removed. To deliver the amount of insulin needed, a button on the pump is pushed. The pump is small enough to be worn on a belt or kept in a pocket.