What is the most important information I should know about Humalog, Humalog 200 units/mL KwikPen, Humalog Mix75/25, and Humalog Mix50/50?
- Do not share your Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, or Humalog Mix50/50 KwikPen, cartridges, reusable pen compatible with Lilly 3 mL cartridges, or syringes with other people, even if the needle has been changed. You may give other people a serious infection or get a serious infection from them.
- Humalog 200 units/mL KwikPen contains 2 times as much insulin (200 U/mL) in 1 mL as standard insulin (100 U/mL).
- The Humalog contained in the Humalog U-200 KwikPen should ONLY be injected with the Humalog U-200 KwikPen. Do NOT withdraw Humalog U-200 from the pen using a syringe. It could result in an overdose causing severe low blood sugar which may put your life in danger.
- Do not change the insulin you use without talking to your healthcare provider. Changes may make you more likely to experience low or high blood sugar. Changes should be made cautiously under the supervision of your healthcare provider.
- Test your blood sugar levels as your healthcare provider instructs.
- Your insulin dose may need to change because of illness, stress, other medicines you take, change in diet, or change in physical activity or exercise.
- When used in a pump, do not mix or dilute Humalog U-100 with any other insulin or liquid. Do NOT use Humalog U-200, Humalog Mix75/25 or Humalog Mix50/50 in a pump.
Who should not take Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, or Humalog Mix50/50?
- Do not take these insulins if your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or if you are allergic to insulin lispro or any of the ingredients in these insulins.
Before using Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, or Humalog Mix50/50, what should I tell my healthcare providers?
- About all of your medical conditions, including liver, kidney, or heart failure or other heart problems.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- About all the medicines you take, including prescription (especially ones commonly called TZDs [thiazolidinediones]) and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
How should I use Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, or Humalog Mix50/50?
- These insulins start working faster than other insulins that contain regular human insulin. You should take Humalog within fifteen minutes before eating or right after eating a meal. You should take Humalog Mix75/25 and Humalog Mix50/50 within fifteen minutes before eating.
- Always make sure that you receive the correct type of insulin from the pharmacy.
- Do not use Humalog if it is cloudy, colored, or has solid particles or clumps in it.
- Do not use Humalog Mix75/25 or Humalog Mix50/50 if they have solid particles or clumps in them. Humalog Mix75/25 and Humalog Mix50/50 should be mixed carefully before each use and should be cloudy or milky after mixing.
- Do not mix Humalog U-100 with insulin other than NPH when using a syringe. Do not mix or dilute Humalog U-100 when used in a pump.
- Never mix Humalog Mix75/25 or Humalog Mix50/50 in the same syringe with other insulin products. Never use Humalog U-200, Humalog Mix75/25 or Humalog Mix50/50 in a pump.
- Inject your insulin under your skin (subcutaneously). Never inject into a vein or muscle. Change (rotate) your injection site with each dose. Make sure you inject the correct insulin and dose.
- Do not re-use needles. Always use a new needle for each injection. Re-use of needles can cause you to receive the wrong dose of Humalog and result in infection.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Humalog affects you. Do not use alcohol while using Humalog.
What are the possible side effects of Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, or Humalog Mix50/50?
- Severe low blood sugar can cause unconsciousness (passing out), seizures, and death. Low blood sugar is the most common side effect. There are many causes of low blood sugar, including taking too much insulin. It is important to treat it quickly. You can treat mild to moderate low blood sugar by drinking or eating a quick source of sugar right away. Symptoms may be different for each person. Be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about low blood sugar symptoms and treatment.
- Severe life-threatening allergic reactions (whole-body reactions) can happen. Get medical help right away if you develop a rash over your whole body, have trouble breathing, have a fast heartbeat, or are sweating.
- Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, and Humalog Mix50/50 can cause life-threatening low potassium in your blood (hypokalemia), which can cause severe breathing problems, irregular heartbeat, and death.
- Serious side effects can include swelling of your hands and feet and heart failure when taking certain pills called thiazolidinediones or “TZDs” with Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, or Humalog Mix50/50. This may occur in some people even if they have not had heart problems before. Tell your healthcare provider if you have shortness of breath, swelling of your ankles or feet, or sudden weight gain, which may be symptoms of heart failure. Your healthcare provider may need to adjust or stop your treatment with TZDs, Humalog, Humalog Mix75/25, or Humalog Mix50/50.
- Failure of your insulin pump or infusion set or degradation of the insulin in the pump can cause hyperglycemia and ketoacidosis. Always carry an alternate form of insulin administration in case of pump failure.
- The most common side effects of Humalog include low blood sugar, allergic reactions, including reactions at your injection site, skin thickening or pits at the injection site (lipodystrophy), itching, and rash. These are not all of the possible side effects. Ask your healthcare provider for more information or for medical advice about side effects.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
For additional information talk to your healthcare providers and please click to access Humalog Full Prescribing Information, Humalog U-100 Patient Prescribing Information, Humalog U-200 KwikPen Patient Prescribing Information, Humalog Mix75/25 Full Prescribing Information and Patient Prescribing Information, and Humalog Mix50/50 Full Prescribing Information and Patient Prescribing Information.
Please see Instructions for Use included with your pen.
HI U200 BOI CON ISI 26MAY2015
Humalog® and Humalog® KwikPen® are registered trademarks of Eli Lilly and Company and are available by prescription only.
Humalog® Mix75/25™, Humalog® Mix50/50™, Humalog® Mix75/25™ KwikPen®, and Humalog® Mix50/50™ KwikPen® are trademarks of Eli Lilly and Company and are available by prescription only.